Anticipated Start Date: Summer 2022
Salary Range: $82,500 – $95,000, depending on experience
Job Type: Full-time remote. Applicants preferring part-time hours will be considered.
Social Impact Advisors is a certified Canadian B Corp working with ambitious social purpose organizations as coaches, consultants and facilitators, to build and implement strategy for real social and environmental change. We use emerging and adaptable, proven processes developed from our work across Canada with more than 200 charities, nonprofits, associations, funders, post-secondary institutions, healthcare providers, and social purpose companies, across a wide range of beneficiaries such as youth, newcomers, and people with low income, and spanning a wide range of subsectors, from arts, to social services, and the environment.
The Senior Associate role at Social Impact Advisors includes client-facing as well as internal responsibilities.
Client Engagements: This role is expected to primarily lead client engagements that they deliver themselves or with support from SIA colleagues. They may also play a supporting role on engagements led by other SIA team members. Typical engagements take the shape of working with a client team to develop a Theory of Change, create a Strategic Plan, build an Impact Measurement framework, support a Collective Impact initiative, or design and facilitate an impact-focused retreat. While delivering this work, SIA’s approach usually includes developing skills/building capacity in our clients, so there is an important teaching/coaching element to our work, in addition to consulting to ensure a strong solution is delivered. These engagements involve working with the client directly and may include additional supporting desk work such as research and analysis of the topic, context, or solutions, and conducting and analyzing stakeholder interviews.
Business Support: Internally, this role will include responsibilities that support and strengthen the organization, in line with the candidate’s capabilities. This could include areas such as: product development and standardization, business development, business planning, or strengthening our DEI and overall approach to social and environmental justice.
Qualities and Competencies
- You are motivated by the positive impact you and SIA’s clients can make and are naturally curious about new and innovative approaches to impact.
- You are calm under pressure and can perform well, independently, in a deadline-driven environment across multiple engagements.
- You are adaptable and able to navigate uncertainty.
- You naturally take initiative, can anticipate client and company needs, and are well prepared for every meeting and engagement.
- You are analytical and process-oriented, which allows you to plan meetings, support research, and guide projects that generate practical and sound decisions and plans.
- You are an enthusiastic facilitator, able to efficiently and equitably engage participants and utilize tools to capture content, in-person or online.
- You consider justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion to all that you do, and are able to support clients in applying that perspective.
- You are a clear and compelling writer and can readily synthesize and reflect ideas in text and graphic form.
- You are self-directed, prioritizing and managing your own time, being accountable for your responsibilities.
- You utilize measurement and evaluation as tools for gaining greater insights and impact.
- You think strategically, right-sizing your approach to client work, bringing a systems lens and/or programmatic view, as appropriate.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The Senior Associate will be overseen and supported by a Partner to deliver and/or support client engagements and internal business projects.
- Client engagements will include a wide-range of activities, including: creating workplans, synthesizing information across a diverse range of sources (client input, research literature, existing data, stakeholder engagement – conducted by SIA or the client), assessing and gently critiquing client solutions, developing and delivering presentation materials and facilitation plans, developing recommendations, writing reports and proposals.
- For practice areas with several concurrent projects, the Senior Associate will leverage our learning by developing or refining standard tools, processes, and resources that can be applied to new projects in the practice area or similar practice areas.
- Senior Associates may be responsible for developing and/or leading new product offerings, with particular emphasis on impact measurement in contexts of complexity.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Demonstrated interest in social and environmental impact work and enthusiasm for working toward justice, equity, and sustainability.
- Well-developed communication talent and skills, verbal and written
- Demonstrated facilitation and idea synthesis talent and skills.
- Experience with Theory of Change, collective impact, strategic planning, and/or impact measurement and evaluation
- Appreciation for the context in which organizations in the sectors we serve operate, respect for their expertise and accomplishments, and confidence in their potential.
- Graduate degree or equivalent experience and at least 5 years’ relevant experience.
- Experience as a justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion advisor is an asset.
This full-time position is entirely remote, working from a home office, with the possibility of limited travel and in-person meetings across Canada and mostly in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA). Our team has flexible working hours, with recommended core hours between 9 am and 3 pm. Employees are entitled to paid sick leave, their birthday off, and 3 weeks of vacation annually, in addition to paid days off during a one-week office shut down in December.
Social Impact Advisors is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees and do not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, record of offences, marital status, family status, or disability.
We welcome and encourage applications from people of all genders, visible minorities, Indigenous persons, and persons with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request (by email at email@example.com) for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
If you are interested in this position, please send your resume and a brief letter describing how your experience and interests align with the requirements for this position to firstname.lastname@example.org , by May 15th, 2022, noting ‘Senior Associate Role’ in the subject line. Applicants of interest may be contacted as their applications are received.
Download a pdf. version of the job description below: