Joanna joins our podcast as CEO of the newly named MakeWay organization. You might know it as Tides Canada. We hear about the journey and thinking behind rebranding. It’s about getting clear about the purpose of the organization and as a result, determining some fitting branding to go with it. We hear examples of projects MakeWay supports and a snapshot of an organizational design and leadership pilot the organization is undertaking. Through this, we’ll see just how fitting “MakeWay” is for this organization.
Along the way, we also hear a bit more about Joanna’s background. She came to MakeWay in the last year. Prior to that, she led Greenpeace Canada. She had more international experience before that, particularly focused on women and tackling inequality. Along that line, we’re also going to hear about her role as Board Chair of the newly formed Equality Fund. This is going to be a significant organization. It just received $300 million in funding from the federal government. We’ll hear about the history and direction of the Fund.
Finally, we hear about how all of these things fit together, that the issues we’re facing in the world, affecting society and the environment, are not separate and distinct, but all overlapping. Joanna brings great perspective to the intersectionality of those issues and how we need to solve for all of these things together. There’s a lot to take away from this. Have a listen.
- MakeWay: https://makeway.org
- Joanna Kerr: https://www.linkedin.com/in/joanna-kerr-bb011b71
- Teal/Reinventing Organizations: https://www.reinventingorganizations.com
- Digital Justice Lab: https://digitaljusticelab.ca
- Northern Manitoba Food, Culture and Community Collaborative: http://www.nmfccc.ca
- Equality Fund: https://equalityfund.ca
- Jessica Houssian/Women Moving Millions: https://womenmovingmillions.org/about/team/
- Sophie Gupta: https://yaletown.com/team/sophie-gupta/
Thank you for listening to Impact Conversations with Lynn Fergusson & Sally Fazal
Find out more about our work at Social Impact Advisors: https://socialimpactadvisors.ca