As someone with lived experience, and as a person of mixed colour, Sonia brings a unique perspective to addressing eating disorders as a mental health issue, raising up the voices of people with lived experience and seeking more equitable access and support.
Sonia explains the issues and challenges facing people living with eating disorders, particularly through a pandemic that creates additional stress. She also shares some of the solutions developed by the national Body Peace Collaborative, including developing an award-winning e-platform for those experiencing eating disorders and their families, as well as to educate and support health care professionals to be better equipped to offer support.
Finally, Sonia shares some of her learning on the process. Solving these bigger societal issues often can’t be accomplished by one organization and means coming together as a collaborative for collective impact. This approach has its benefits and challenges, and Sonia shares both, concluding that it’s worth the effort.
- Body Peace Collaborative/ Award-winning e-platform to access training, education and support: https://eatingdisordersu.org
- Body Brave website: https://bodybrave.ca
- Sonia Kumar: https://www.linkedin.com/in/soniaseguin
- Priority Health Innovation Challenge: https://www.cfhi-fcass.ca/what-we-do/find-and-promote-innovators-and-innovations/priority-health-innovation-challenge
- World Eating Disorders Action Day: June 2
- Innoweave’s Collective Impact stream: https://innoweave.ca/streams/collective-impact/